Calling All Pediatric Physical and Occupational Therapists
If you're like us, your case load is getting full with babies who have torticollis and plagiocephaly. This diagnosis is tough for several reasons. Sometimes the referrals are made when the baby is older, which makes resolution very difficult. Follow through with the home exercise program is often inconsistent. Getting "buy-in" from the family can also be a challenge. And then, once your toolbox of basic treatment strategies is used up, it's hard to know what to do from there.
Because you're here, it means you care! It means you are ready to truly make a difference in the incidence of plagiocephaly and the effective treatment of torticollis. If we all join together, there will be no stopping us. Let's do this!
What You Can Do Now
- Talk to your favorite referral source about referring sooner
- Learn a new stretch/activity
- Talk about torticollis/plagiocephaly on social media
- Inspire parents to take action sooner
- Brush up on your Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Shadow a more experienced therapist
- Take our course to take your knowledge to the next level
Check out our most popular course:
The Therapist's Role in Treating Plagiocephaly without a Helmet
How many times have you taken a continuing ed course and the presenter doesn’t get to the treatment strategies until the very end? How frustrating is THAT?! Well, this is not that type of course. Jennifer will take you through proven, hands-on treatment strategies for torticollis and plagiocephaly with hours of video for demonstration. Over 20 years of experience packed into one 7 hour course. You don't want to miss this!
Participants will be able to:
- Evaluate different types of torticollis and plagiocephaly and their causes.
- Understand best practices for treating torticollis and plagiocephaly, including screenings, evaluation, treatment, discharge and follow up care.
- Create a treatment plan that supports the whole infant, not just the torticollis/plagiocephaly.
- Understand the importance of developmental skill attainment and how it is directly affected by torticollis.
- Problem solve atypical scenarios with the torticollis population.
- Gain confidence in overall handling skills.
- Identify/evaluate/explain basic and complex infant head shapes.
- Recognize the 9 risk factors associated with plagiocephaly and how to mitigate them.
- Understand various treatment options for plagiocephaly, including pros and cons of each.
- Take excellent pictures of baby’s head shapes to establish a baseline, validate results and monitor progress.
- Understand how forces affect infant skull shapes and the ability to correct them.
- Safely and effectively position a baby with plagiocephaly to correct skull flattening using evidence based swaddling techniques.
- Determine when helmet therapy is indicated.