The Therapist’s Role In Treating Plagiocephaly without a Helmet
As we know so well, plagiocephaly cannot be corrected if cervical tightness is impeding a baby’s mobility. We have to be very efficient and succinct in our approach, so as to take advantage of young referrals and mitigate change in the head shape as quickly as possible. This course covers more than your average neck stretches - we will look at the whole baby at different ages and we show you how to incorporate cervical mobility along with developmentally appropriate activities. Jennifer’s casual approach to teaching and over 20 yrs of experience will certainly change the way you treat these young patients.
The second part of the course is EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT PLAGIOCEPHALY. And trust us, there is a lot! Never has there been an opportunity to thoroughly learn about plagiocephaly and then how to actually correct the skull asymmetries without a helmet. Baby Begin has proven, easy to understand methods that will take your skills to the next level and make you a hero to your patients. Teaching is a combination of lecture, video demonstration and Jennifer’s answers to parents’ most common questions and concerns. You don’t want to miss this!
Participants will be able to:
- Evaluate different types of torticollis and their causes.
- Understand best practices for treating torticollis, including screenings, evaluation, treatment, discharge and follow up care.
- Create a treatment plan that supports the whole infant, not just the torticollis.
- Understand the importance of developmental skill attainment and how it is directly affected by torticollis.
- Problem solve atypical scenarios with the torticollis population.
- Gain confidence in overall handling skills.
- Identify/evaluate/explain basic and complex infant head shapes.
- Recognize the 9 risk factors associated with plagiocephaly and how to mitigate them.
- Understand various treatment options for plagiocephaly, including pros and cons of each.
- Take excellent pictures of baby’s head shapes to establish a baseline, validate results and monitor progress.
- Understand how forces affect infant skull shapes and the ability to correct them.
- Safely and effectively position a baby with plagiocephaly to correct skull flattening using evidence based swaddling techniques.
- Answer difficult questions from parents of babies with plagiocephaly.
- Determine when helmet therapy is indicated.
- Problem-solve complex scenarios to ensure excellent treatment outcomes.
- Clearly understand all safety precautions involved with positioning for plagiocephaly.
- Exemplify confidence to parents and pediatricians to clearly market their skills.
We’ve taken it a step further:
Become an official Baby Begin Ally!
Because we are committed to eradicating plagiocephaly all over the world, we want to help you advertise your now-specialized skill set! We will feature you on our website and social media (Ally spotlights) and send potential clients your way. Let’s partner together!
We pride ourselves in keeping baby’s out of helmets- we ARE the helmet alternative. Check out our amazing results.